WHAT IS PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that develops as a result of a traumatic event in which one’s life is believed to be threatened, they experience the threat or actual loss of a limb, or they directly witness either of these occur to someone else.
It is marked by symptoms of Intrusions where the person re-experiences the trauma, Avoidance, Arousal, and has Negative Thoughts about themselves, others, and the world. These symptoms must persist for more than a month following the traumatic event.
These symptoms must impair the person’s functioning in relationships, their occupation, academic, and/or social settings. If these symptoms seem familiar to your life experience, or that of your loved one, we welcome the opportunity to speak with you to help you determine if PROPS is the right facility for you or your loved one.
HOW IS PTSD TREATED?
The three most recognized treatments for PTSD are Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and Prolonged Exposure (PE). These are considered the “best practices” therapies by the National Center for PTSD, The Department of Veterans Affairs, and the National Institutes of Mental Health for the treatment of PTSD.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM OUR PROGRAM AND HOW?
Providence Residential & Outpatient PTSD Services (PROPS) provides proven trauma-focused treatments for Veterans, first responders, and adults diagnosed with PTSD. These treatments are provided in a warm and welcoming environment, which allows the client to focus on his recovery in order to heal. Each phase of treatment includes individual and group therapy utilizing effective therapies, as well as coping strategies, adjustment and transition counseling, couples or family therapy, life skills, and education. Utilizing evidence-based treatments is important because it signifies that an abundance of research has been conducted to prove the effectiveness of treatment. The time and experience to acquire these skills help better prepare your providers for working with you to overcome the challenges you face.
HOW IS OUR RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM DIFFERENT?
The advantages of PROPS has over other residential programs are:
- Our program is a transitional residential program that allows you to live in our home facility while working, attending school, or volunteering, and receive trauma therapies proven to reduce PTSD symptoms.
- We specialize in the treatment of PTSD; we are not a general mental health program although we do treat common co-occurring disorders often associated with PTSD such as depression and anxiety.
- We offer a concierge program that provides personalized therapy focused on reducing your PTSD symptoms and to help you reclaim your life.
- Our staff is trained in the best treatments for PTSD, anxiety, and depression.
- We use wholistic therapies that incorporate the mind, body, and spirit.
- We work with the client, family, or other support systems to repair disrupted relationships due to trauma exposure
HOW DID WE GET STARTED?
During Dr. Berry-Mitchell’s tenure at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), she realized that more could be offered to Veterans, as well as other adult trauma survivors, and their loved ones to improve PTSD recovery. The vision for PROPS grew out of the desire to provide wholistic treatments that incorporate the mind, body, and spirit.
HOW WE CAN HELP?
We have caring and compassionate staff trained in the most effective trauma-focused treatments who are looking forward to being your advocates, accountability partners, and some of the biggest cheerleaders in your recovery. We would be honored to walk alongside you in your healing journey. Our desire is for you and your loved ones to heal and enjoy life again. Please call us at (678) 882-5371. We would love to speak with you and schedule an assessment to determine how we can meet your treatment needs.